Advantages and Features of Gantt Chart Explained
- Provide an easy and natural way of viewing the project time frame of project tasks against a background of time with dependencies clearly highlighted.
- Very effective in finding out the delivery timeline for a project.
- A Gantt chart will have task, duration, start date and end date for the task and predecessors / dependencies.
- Using them a project manager can clearly articulate the task dependencies and the how they play a role in the timeline of the project.
- Viewing the critical path for the projects provides the task that should be given priority is something again driven by Gantt Charts.
- They clarify the resource work load.
- Can be very effective in showing a high-level view of the project phases.
- Can help with project tracking.
- They are part of all the major project management templates and tools.
|Project Timeline Gantt|
Now some disadvantages
- A lot of different varieties of chart are used which can confuse people (an example is above).
- Not suitable for high level management as can get very detailed.
- Tools often lack functionality to view and print large Gantt charts.
- Often need to be supplemented with additional data or tables for task information.
Best Practices when working with Gantt Charts
- Always include task dependencies and predecessors in the project plans.
- Ensure that you consider account for holidays and major leave plans.
- Using different colors for different phases can make the Gantt Chart more readable.
- If the plan is tool complex add high level project phases of tasks.
- Mention the key milestones or tasks in the plan as separate tasks.
- Document the tasks in chunks of slots of up to 5 days as making them more granular can make the chart unreadable.
- Always store the previous copies of the updates for comparison. It’s a good idea to store the copy with a date prefix (Gantt_Plan_12-Feb-2016.xlsx).
- Before publishing the final version it’s good to get peer reviews and/or do a dry run with your manager.
- When publishing check to ensure all the readers have the tool or you can publish using a PDF format.
- Always include some amount of contingency in the tasks which have cross dependency.
Features of the Gantt Chart Excel Template
- The template allows users to enter start date of the view.
- The timeline for Gantt chart can be adjusted. You can view timeline for 1, 2 or 5 days or even more.
- Allows use of predecessors for tasks.
- Auto calculates end dates for tasks based on start date and effort.
- Highlights when tasks are not 100% complete beyond the current dates.
- Highlights the current date on the Gantt Chart.
- When creating a task always copy-paste the existing tasks so that the conditional formatting also gets copied to the new task.
- You can change the color of the Gantt by changing the conditional formatting options.
|Gantt Chart Explained|