What is a resource matrix?A resource matrix is a mapping between resources and projects with the timeline in question. The matrix provides a convenient way of identifying gaps as it provides a matrix view of resources vs. projects. With this view, a resource manager can easily pinpoint which resources are not fully allocated. It can also be used to manage tasks.
|Resource Matrix Excel Template|
Some things to know about Resource Matrix Template Excel
- The Resource Matrix is simple to create or use and provides a complete view of the resources.
- The resource matrix can be used for managing project resources or for regular team management.
- As a resource is listed only once, it is straightforward to know where a given resource is allocated.
- Easy to print the report for senior management.
- Resources can be allocated to multiple projects or tasks.
- Excel built-in filters can be used to filter on resources and roles.
- When a resource is free, the cell is highlighted for easy tracking.
How to use the Resource Matrix Template Excel
- The resource matrix has two columns - Resources and Role.
- The resource column should have the resource names.
- The Role should have the role for that resource.
- Each resource should be defined only once.
- The columns after the role column are allocations.
- Define Project Codes for each project so that the project names do not get too long.
- Based on the resource requirements, populate the month columns with the project name to which the resource is allocated for that month.
- If you type the words "Free," then that column will be auto-highlighted to yellow color.
- If the resource is not available that month, then you can enter N/A.
Techno-Tip: If you want to see resource allocation for a specific resource, use the in-built excel filters.
Also, check out Team Resource Plans to help a team manager to assign team members to multiple projects.
Project Resource Allocation Matrix
|Project Resource Allocation Matrix|
Resource Allocation with Matrix
- When dealing with resource allocation in a matrix style, it is important to do a few things to ensure that the matrix is updated.
- Always ensure that you have captured the right resource name and skill set.
- Select a longer timetable so that you cover at least 6 months. Resource planning needs to happen in the long-term. Short-term planning should only be done when there is an urgency.
- Get the correct daily rate. Also, ensure that you understand if the resource is full-time or part-time or work for the full day or night.
- Publish the plan to the team and all the key stakeholders.