The Project Heat Map Excel Template allows a project manager to easily point out the areas of problem within the project. The heat map is simple to use as it is based on keywords. The heat map also has an area which can be used to provide additional details and comments.
|Project Heat Map Excel Template|
How to use the Project Heat Map
The project heat map is simple to use. The heat map is divided into 4 sections - Schedule, Budget, Risks and Issues and Other KPIs.
Each section is made up of multiple categories or sub sections which refer to the key performance measures for the project reporting section. The bigger the sub section higher the significance of that sub section.
Each sub section can be colored to reflect their status. The sub section uses conditional formatting and will be colored as per the key word used.
Below is the list of key word and corresponding colors. Use the relevant key word in the status update to color as per below -
- Use the key word "Critical" to color the sub section bright red. This status is used when the things are really really bad,
- Use the key word "Red" or "Delayed" to color the sub section light red. This status should be used when the situation is bad and out of control.
- Use the key word "Amber" or "Concern" to color the sub section in Amber. This status should be used when things look like going south.
- Use the key word "Green" or "On Track" to color the subsection in Green. This status should be used when all is good.
Examples of using keywords in the Project Heat map Excel Template
- Project Progress is Critical - will color the sub section in bright red.
- Key Resource Dependency Red - will color the sub.section in light red.
- Project Benefits delayed - will color the sub.section in light red.
- Scope Change Requests are on track - will color the sub.section in green.
- Risks are green - will color the sub.section in green.
- Leave plans and vacations Amber - will color the sub.section in amber.
- Budget is a Concern - will color the sub.section in amber.
Other Sections in the Project Heat Map
To supplement the heat map with information the excel template contains additional sections to provide details or comments.
- The schedule sections can cover key project phases with end dates and status. There is also a section to enter any comments related to issues visible in the heat map.
- The budget section has basic information about the budget and a comments section to provide any additional information about the issues identified in the heat map.
- The risks and issues section has the count for risks and issues. In addition to the basic details it also has a comments section.
- The other KPIs section can contain comments about other issues visible in the heat map.
Techno-Tip : You can change the size of any subsections by un-merging/merging cells.