What is a Heat Map?
|Heat Map Excel Template|
Heat Map Excel Template
Use the relevant keyword in the status update to color as per below -
- Use the keyword "Critical" to color the subsection bright red. This status is used when things are really, really bad,
- Use the keyword "Red" or "Delayed" to color the subsection light red. This status should be used when the situation is bad and out of control.
- Use the keyword "Amber" or "Concern" to color the subsection in Amber. This status should be used when things look like going south.
- Use the keyword "Green" or "On Track" to color the subsection in Green. This status should be used when all is good.
Examples of using keywords in the Project Heat map Excel Template
- Project Progress is Critical - will color the subsection in bright red.
- Key Resource Dependency Red - will color the subsection in light red.
- Project Benefits delayed - will color the subsection in light red.
- Scope Change Requests are on track - will color the subsection in green.
- Risks are green - will color the subsection in green.
- Leave plans and vacations Amber - will color the subsection in amber.
- Budget is a Concern - will color the subsection in amber.
Excel Risk HeatmapTo supplement the heat map with information, the excel template contains additional sections to provide details or comments. The schedule sections can cover key project phases with end dates and status. There is also a section to enter any comments related to issues visible in the heat map. The budget section has basic information about the budget and a comments section to provide any additional information about the heat map issues. The risks and issues section has the count for risks and issues. In addition to the basic details, it also has a comments section. The other KPIs section can contain comments about other issues visible in the heat map.
The heatmap parameters are as follows –
- The lowest number is the most Green.
- The middle percentile is 60% and appears as Orange.
- The highest number is the most Red.
Heatmap Template in PowerPoint(PPT)
- The Reddest cells were the lowest values in the table.
- The Orange cells are the ones that are closest to the 50th percentile (i.e., the closer the cell value is to the average, the more orange the cell is).
- The Greenest cells were the highest values in the table.
|Heatmap Template PPT|
High-Level Heat Map
List Heat Map
The list heat map template is a simple list of items. Each cell will have a name and then status. Use the following status. A list heat map is a good tool for tracking a list of items that need to be completed. I have used Project Management Toll Review as an example. Green Status = Green Color. Amber Status = Amber Color and Red Status = Red Color.
List Heat Map
|List Heat Map Template|