Project Management Dashboard Excel Template aids a project manager by visualizing the critical success factors for a project. It can also be used to report status to senior level management who do not have the time to read a detailed project status report.
|Project Dashboard Excel Template|
Advantages and Features of the Project Dashboard Excel Template
- The excel dashboard gives a birds eye view of the key parameters of the project and their statues using graphs and timelines making the job of project management easy.The senior management always want to have a quick overview rather than detailed analysis.
- Has a project commentary section which allows the project manager to enter free form project update. This should be short and crisp and should give a clear message to the management. the dashboard has an overall project status indicator which can be used by the project manager to set overall project status in the dashboard.
- Displays the schedule as a timeline which makes it easy to visualize the project schedule. It is easier to understand the timeline as it is like a Gantt chart. The schedule should be used to display only the high level project phases.
- Also displayed are the task details. The details include tasks on track, delayed and not started. This information will help the management in understanding how many tasks are pending.
- Dashboard also tracks budget on a month by month basis which makes it easy to access if the budget is still on track. Displaying the project budget in a monthly fashion allows easy interpretation of the the budget is tracking. Budget is one the key parameters for senior management.
- Display the total count for risks and issues which again allows the management to focus on the areas where there are problems. For both risks and issues the total number of High, Medium and Low
- The dashboard also displays decisions, actions and change requests pending. This information helps the management in understanding what items are pending in the project.
- Easy to configure and use as it is excel based. As it is in excel it can easily be email or shared with someone. And it is absolutely FREE. Feel free to edit the template to create your own excel template.
Disadvantages of the Project Dashboard Excel Template
- As it is a separate document the dashboard is not linked to the project plan and will need manual data entry. In a busy management schedule this task can be an overhead.
- The schedule timeline can be difficult to change if you want to add additional tasks. Recommendation is to limit the number of tasks in the timeline. Limit to displaying only high level timeline tasks. It is easy to delete the tasks.
How to Use the Project Dashboard Excel Template
|Data Entry Tab|
- The excel spreadsheet has two tabs - dashboard and data.
- Dashboard sheet has the actual status with timeline and graphs. Data has all the fields to be entered so that the graphs work on the dashboard.
- The data sheet has a Schedule section which task name, start , end and duration. The duration is auto calculated. The schedule should be high level rather than details.
- The Task Information has the number of tasks On track, Delayed and Not started. You should be able to get this information from your project plan.
- Budget Information - Should contain the budget on monthly basis. There are two columns planned and actual.
- Risks and Issues contain a count for High, Medium and Low risks and issues.
- Decisions, Actions and Change requests have information about pending decisions, action and change requests.
- Project Status can be used to configure the project statues you want to see on the project dashboard.